1. Exit at Circle Line Station “Nicoll Highway”
2. From the only exit, cross over Nicoll Highway via the overhead bridge
3. Walk down Java Road, turn right and head down Beach Road to Golden Mile Tower
4. Walk up the stairs, turn right and take the lift up to Level 5
5. Walk past Intermission bar, turn right again and push the door open into the carpark space
6. Follow the sound of the music straight ahead and you’ll be at the Elevate the Streets Jam.
Since March 2019, the team of seasoned youth breakdancers has formed close partnerships with registered Social Service Organizations: Bethesda Care Services and Trybe Ltd. Through their in-depth collaboration with social workers, the Elevate the Streets initiative has successfully co-designed and conducted workshops that use dance and graffiti to engage with identified cases of youths-at-risk (YARs). By attaching several volunteer dancers to each session, this programme offers a space to develop meaningful relationships with the youths through individualised care and attention.
The “Elevate the Streets” dance jam marks the public launch of this pilot initiative, and hopes to be an exciting platform to spread the word and recruit more dancer-volunteers. The event is open to all members of the public, and will feature dance competitions, live graffiti, and a clothes donation booth in collaboration with Project Kapayapaan, a hip-hop organization based in the Philippines. This event is powered by the NYC Young Changemakers Grant, and leading hip-hop dance school Recognize Studios is supporting the initiative by sponsoring professional dance classes as event prizes and gifts of encouragement for all participating YARs.
Music: State of Elevation – Dillon Cooper